In touch with UK mission on student visa issue: India
New Delhi: Terming educational cooperation as
an "important facet" of Indo-UK ties, government on Tuesday said it
was in touch with the diplomatic mission of Britain to "better
understand the reasons" for the temporary freeze on student
visas by that country.
This was to ensure that bonafide students planning to go
there for studies were not adversely impacted, it said.
Issuing a response on the move to temporarily stop
accepting student visa applications at the UK Visa Application
Centres in New Delhi, Chandigarh and Jalandhar from February
1, an official spokesman said, "Student exchanges form a vital
component of this cooperation. We would remain in touch with
the BHC (British High Commission) on this matter."
"The Ministry of External Affairs has been in touch with
the British High Commission on this matter to better
understand the reasons behind this decision and also to ensure
that bonafide Indian students planning to go to the UK for
studies are not adversely impacted," he said.
The ministry has also taken note of the fact that the UK
Border Agency is also investigating a number of UK education
providers and has, in the last week, suspended approximately
60 from the education sponsors` register, he said.
The UK Border Agency had on January 30 announced to
temporarily stop accepting student visa applications under
Tier 4 of the Point Based System at the three Visa Application
Centres fearing that an alarming increase in student visa
applications may lead to system abuse.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened