Include spiritual values in education curriculum: LK Advani
Varkala: Senior BJP leader LK Advani on Monday advocated including teachings of saints and gurus of our country in the education curriculum to inculcate spiritual values among youngsters.
Inaugurating the 80th Pilgrimage congregation at the Sivagiri Mutt here, established by social reformer Sree Narayana Guru, Advani wanted the governments in all levels to take steps to include the messages of saint-philosophers such as Narayana Guru, Sree Ramakrishna Paramahamsa and Swami Vivekananda in school lessons.
History of education should not be confined to teachings of rulers and war heroes. It should also include the messages of great saints and gurus of the country, Advani said.
Complimenting the Kerala government and Chief Minister Oommen Chandy for including Narayana Guru’s teachings in school syllabus from next academic year, Advani said "it is right approach to enhance the education in the country?. The Centre also should follow this," he added.
Stating that Guru’s message on caste was very important, Advani said "caste or creed should not be a divisive character so far as mankind or human being is concerned."
"Thinking in terms of species, you cannot distinguish a person on the basis of caste or creed. A person can be a Hindu, a Christian or Muslim. That creed or caste cannot be a divisive character before the mankind, that does not separate them from each other. The touchstone as far as mankind is concerned is how good a human being is," Advani added.
Union Minister of Overseas Indian Affairs Vayalar Ravi, who presided, said he would bring to the notice of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh the issue of including the teachings of Narayana Guru in the country`s education curriculum.
Sivagiri Mutt is hallowed by the samadhi of saint-reformer Sree Narayana Guru who preached the message of "one caste, one religion and one God for men."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!