Increase in inequalities will fuel Naxalism: VK Si
Ranchi: Naxalism will further raise its head if inequalities in the society persist, former Army chief VK Singh on Saturday said while cautioning that "the day was not far when one would see it in one`s neighbourhood."
"Before 1990, there were only about 50 districts affected with Naxalism or extremism in the country. Thereafter it has increased to 270 districts. What is the reason?" he asked.
Addressing a forum on the role of `the Common People in the Current Situation in the Nation`, Singh said poverty, exploitation, inequality and non-governance were the reasons behind the spurt in the left-wing extremism.
Calling for addressing forest rights, problem of land and irrigation, Singh warned that if inequalities increased Naxalism would increase and the day was not far when one would see it in one`s neighbourhood.
Voicing concern over the widening gap between the rich and the poor, Singh asked: "We get Pizza within 30 minutes. What about getting ambulance? A question mark raises here."
Speaking on the occasion, Principal Editor of Hindi daily Prabhat Khabar, Harivansh said the former army chief had the courage to ignore plum after-retirement posts that would have given him comfortable life, but he chose to `cleanse` the political system.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3