Increase in Pak-printed fake currency notes smuggling to India
New Delhi: Smuggling of Fake Indian Currency Notes (FICN) from abroad has shown an increase prompting financial intelligence agencies to keep a strict watch anticipating surge with Lok Sabha elections round the corner.
The Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI), country`s lead agency to check smuggling, has found that neighbouring Sri Lanka, Nepal and Bangladesh among others have fast emerged as new routes for smugglers to push Pakistan-printed fake currency notes, official sources said.
The DRI officials have during April, 2013 and January this year registered five such cases outside India and seized FICN with face value of Rs 15 lakh.
As many as eight people, including three Pakistani nationals, were arrested in a joint operation by officials of the DRI and respective countries abroad, the sources said.
During 2012-13, eight cases of smuggling of FICN from abroad were registered. About 14 people, including five Pakistanis, were arrested in this connection. FICN with face value of Rs 6.35 lakh were seized during these cases, they said.
Besides, the smuggling of FICN is being routed to India via Vietnam and Malaysia, they said.
"The arrests in FICN cases during last and current fiscals were made outside India. There were high quality Fake Indian Currency Notes seized. The intelligence shows that they were printed in Pakistan," a senior DRI official said.
He said it is very difficult to ascertain the genuineness of these notes with the naked eye.
Sources suspect that the smuggling of FICN may increase ahead of Lok Sabha polls. "Despite check, there have been few reported instances where FICN were being pushed from abroad ahead of elections," a source said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre