Increase women`s voices in decision making: Nancy Powell
Chennai: Increasing women`s voices in the decision-making process would make "smart management" and a gender-inclusive work environment would concrete positive results, US Ambassador to India Nancy Powell said Thursday.
Speaking at a conference on `Best Practices for Gender Diversity` here, she said "...If you systematically eliminate half of an available pool of contributors to business, government and broader society, you will also lose half of the potential".
"And that half could have included the next Bill Gates or Albert Einstein, not to mention Marie Curie or Hillary Clinton - if they had been given the same opportunities at education, advancement, nurturing, mentoring and access to opportunities," she said.
Observing that companies gained by recruiting the most talented employees, irrespective of gender, she said "increasing women`s voices in the decision-making process is also, simply put, smart management".
"Those of you in the consumer goods and service sectors are probably well aware of analyses showing that women are estimated to control 15 trillion dollar worldwide by 2014", she said.
A gender-friendly workplace did not mean preferential treatment for one group over the other, she said, adding, on the contrary, good policies promoting greater diversity in the workplace work to the benefit of everyone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you