Increase women`s voices in decision making: Nancy Powell
Chennai: Increasing women`s voices in the decision-making process would make "smart management" and a gender-inclusive work environment would concrete positive results, US Ambassador to India Nancy Powell said Thursday.
Speaking at a conference on `Best Practices for Gender Diversity` here, she said "...If you systematically eliminate half of an available pool of contributors to business, government and broader society, you will also lose half of the potential".
"And that half could have included the next Bill Gates or Albert Einstein, not to mention Marie Curie or Hillary Clinton - if they had been given the same opportunities at education, advancement, nurturing, mentoring and access to opportunities," she said.
Observing that companies gained by recruiting the most talented employees, irrespective of gender, she said "increasing women`s voices in the decision-making process is also, simply put, smart management".
"Those of you in the consumer goods and service sectors are probably well aware of analyses showing that women are estimated to control 15 trillion dollar worldwide by 2014", she said.
A gender-friendly workplace did not mean preferential treatment for one group over the other, she said, adding, on the contrary, good policies promoting greater diversity in the workplace work to the benefit of everyone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video