Indefinite curfew clamped in Assam town after violent clashes
Tezpur (Assam):Indefinite curfew was clamped today in an area near the national highway in Bihguri in Sonitpur district following a clash between a cultural troupe and some youth.
Police lathicharged and fired teargas shells to control the mobs that destroyed many dwelling units of one particular community and set ablaze the house of the prime accused who, long with others, had fought with a Bihu team on their way to Tezpur for performance.
Sonitpur Deputy Commissioner Lalit Gogoi said curfew has been imposed in the areas near National Highway 15 in Bihaguri from noon today for an indefinite period.
The SP of the district Sanjukta Parasar said "the situation is under control now. Police had to fire tear gas shells and lathicharge to disperse the mob."
According to police officers, a Bihu party of Pasnoi area was on its way towards Tezpur for performing there last night.
When they halted at Bihaguri market for some time, the team got involved in a quarrel with a group of youth of the area, resulting in serious injuries to some members.
This morning, protesting against the incident and alleged bias of the police in apprehending the culprits involved, locals vandalised many houses of those accused people.
The mob also set ablaze the house of one person. Three persons allegedly involved in burning the house have been arrested, police source said adding some people have been picked up for questioning for their involvement in the fight with the cultural team but the main culprit is yet to be arrested.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!