Indefinite curfew in Kashmir towns, FIR against Mirwaiz
Srinagar: Indefinite curfew was clamped on Sunday in Srinagar city and six other towns of Kashmir Valley in view of several incidents of arson and violence yesterday, official sources said here.
They added that an FIR has been registered against moderate Hurriyat chairman
Mirwaiz Umar Farooq for inciting violence.
Asked whether Mirwaiz would be arrested, a senior police officer said: "The law will take it own course."
The decision to clamp curfew in the city and other
parts of the Valley was taken after a high-level meeting of
civil and security forces officials here last night, the
Besides the entire Srinagar city district, curfew was
also imposed in South Kashmir towns of Anantnag, Bijbehara,
Pulwama, Kakapora and Sopore and Baramulla towns in North
Kashmir, the sources said.
Thousands of police and paramilitary CRPF personnel
have been deployed in curfew bound areas to maintain law and
order, they said.
Rampaging mobs yesterday set on fire some public
properties, including the Crime Branch office and a police
guard post in Hazratbal shrine as violence marred Eid-ul-Fitr
celebrations in Srinagar city.
Police blamed activists of hard line faction of
Hurriyat Conference led by Syed Ali Shah Geelani and Muslim
League headed by underground separatist leader Masrat Alam
Bhat for the violence as part of a pre-planned conspiracy to
disrupt Eid celebrations.
The government also accused moderate Hurriyat chairman
Mirwaiz Umar Farooq of inciting people by leading a protest
rally to Lal Chowk.
Soon after a protest rally organised by separatist
leaders at Lal Chowk, a group of youth barged into the office
of Chief Engineer, Power Development Department (PDD) near
Exhibition Crossing in Srinagar and set it on fire.
The adjacent building housing the Crime Branch office
was also engulfed in flames within no time and the blaze
spread rapidly as the building is mostly made of wood.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city