India a safe tourist destination: Govt
New Delhi: India is a safe destination and the security of tourists is of utmost importance to the government, Tourism Minister Kumari Selja said here Monday as Britain and Australia issued travel advisories asking their nationals to be vigilant.
The advisories came a day after two Taiwanese were injured when a two armed men on a motorcycle opened indiscriminate fire outside the historic Jama Masjid here Sunday.
Condemning the attack, Selja said: "This attack on tourists shows the desperation of those elements who want to create panic in the society by attacking innocent people."
She appealed to the tourists and the tourism fraternity "not to panic by such stray incidents as India is a safe destination and safety and security of tourists is utmost concern of the government".
"Investigating agencies are at work to bring the culprits to book," she said in a statement issued here.
The attack on Taiwanese came just two weeks before the Commonwealth Games which start Oct 3. A high alert was issued by the police in the national capital Sunday and security was tightened.
The British High Commission here, in its advisory, said: "There is a high threat from terrorism throughout India. Terrorists have targeted places in the past which Westerners are known to visit, including public places such as restaurants, hotels, railway stations, markets and places of worship."
Australia`s Department of Foreign Affairs (DFAT) updated its travel advice following Sunday`s attack, saying there is a "high risk of a terrorist attack" in New Delhi, ABC.net.au reported.
Some 7,000 athletes and delegates from 71 countries and territories are expected for the Oct 3-14 Commonwealth Games, India`s biggest sporting event after the 1982 Asian Games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Twist in BMC poll results as BJP emerges as `largest party`
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway