India a safe tourist destination: Govt
New Delhi: India is a safe destination and the security of tourists is of utmost importance to the government, Tourism Minister Kumari Selja said here Monday as Britain and Australia issued travel advisories asking their nationals to be vigilant.
The advisories came a day after two Taiwanese were injured when a two armed men on a motorcycle opened indiscriminate fire outside the historic Jama Masjid here Sunday.
Condemning the attack, Selja said: "This attack on tourists shows the desperation of those elements who want to create panic in the society by attacking innocent people."
She appealed to the tourists and the tourism fraternity "not to panic by such stray incidents as India is a safe destination and safety and security of tourists is utmost concern of the government".
"Investigating agencies are at work to bring the culprits to book," she said in a statement issued here.
The attack on Taiwanese came just two weeks before the Commonwealth Games which start Oct 3. A high alert was issued by the police in the national capital Sunday and security was tightened.
The British High Commission here, in its advisory, said: "There is a high threat from terrorism throughout India. Terrorists have targeted places in the past which Westerners are known to visit, including public places such as restaurants, hotels, railway stations, markets and places of worship."
Australia`s Department of Foreign Affairs (DFAT) updated its travel advice following Sunday`s attack, saying there is a "high risk of a terrorist attack" in New Delhi, ABC.net.au reported.
Some 7,000 athletes and delegates from 71 countries and territories are expected for the Oct 3-14 Commonwealth Games, India`s biggest sporting event after the 1982 Asian Games.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler