India, Afghan united in fight against terror: PM
New Delhi: Stressing on the pressing need to end the scourge called terrorism Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Thursday asked India, Pakistan and Afghanistan to work together in the fight against terror.
The Prime Minister was addressing a joint press conference alongside Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai in Kabul during his visit to the country, post Osama encounter.
Terming the death of Osama Bin Laden “a unique moment in the history of the region”, PM said, “Peace and security requires all the countries in the region to think afresh in dealing with terrorism. This is the time to end the scourge called terrorism.”
The PM said a thorough investigation is needed on the presence of Osama at Abbottabad in Pakistan for such a long period.
Addressing to reporters Karzai called the attacks on Indian embassy in Kabul as “tragic and barbaric”.
The Prime Minister extended support to Afghanistan in areas of priorities and concerns. India has made a fresh commitment of USD 500 million to the war-ravaged country in the next few years for its development.
Saying “Afghanistan can count on India”, PM described it as "a very special friend" and not just a neighbour.
"We wish to see a peaceful, stable, democratic and pluralistic Afghanistan, which is in harmony with the culture, genius and temperament of its people," he said at a banquet lunch hosted by Afghan President.
Shortly after the Prime Minister landed in the Afghan capital amid tight security cover, Singh was warmly received by Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai who told the Prime Minister "Welcome to your second home" at a ceremonial reception by the Afghan Police, the Army and the Air Force in the grand Presidential Palace `The Arg`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur