India, Afghanistan to ink four pacts during Hamid Karzai`s visit
New Delhi: Four pacts are expected to be inked between India and Afghanistan, including one in the mining field during the visit of Afghan President Hamid Karzai from November 9. The two countries will also explore the possibility of increased role of New Delhi in training of security forces of the war-torn country during the four-day visit.
Karzai, who will begin his tour from Mumbai, will interact with the business community there and seek greater investment in his country in various sectors. Briefing the reporters on the Presidential visit, Afghan Ambassador Shaida Mohammad Abdali said, Karzai was coming to India at "a critical time" as international combat troops prepare to withdraw from Afghanistan by 2014.
Karzai will also deliver the annual Maulana Abdul Kalam Azad annual lecture on November 11. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Karzai will hold wide-ranging talks, including on regional security situation and safety of Indian nationals and Indian projects on November 12 in New Delhi. The two leaders will discuss a range of key issues of mutual interest, Abdali said, adding efforts to intensify the India-Afghanistan strategic dialogue on bilateral and regional issues will also be made by the Afghan side.
The two countries will also explore the possibility of increased role of New Delhi in training of security forces of the war-torn country.
Four MoUs will be signed between the two countries in areas of mines, youth affairs, small development projects and fertilizers, he said. Indicating that the two sides will also explore ways to step up Indian training for Afghan national security forces during the visit, the Afghan envoy said, "India has committed itself to strengthening security of Afghanistan."
Abdali also noted that there were "still pockets of insurgent groups and sanctuaries of terror" in his country and stressed the need for intensifying international and regional cooperation in combating terrorism. "We need to cooperate against combating terrorism. We don`t have a satisfactory situation so far," he said.
Terming India as a "special friend" of Afghanistan, Abdali said India is "a reliable and all-season friend, which has been with Afghanistan in good and bad times". "India is focusing on life-changing initiatives for Afghanistan and the region," he said.
Karzai is also expected to apprise India of the status of peace process and the efforts made by his government to prepare for the post-2014 scenario when Western combat forces will withdraw from Afghanistan. For Indian side, the security of their nationals and projects will be the focus during the talks, sources said.
Indians in Afghanistan include Afghans of Indian origin as well as Indian construction and aid workers involved in rebuilding and humanitarian assistance efforts. Having committed a $2.3 billion aid program, India is one of the largest donors to Afghanistan, investing in the economy, humanitarian aid, education, development, construction and electrical projects.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly