India alert to growing military might of China
Washington: India remains alert to the
growing military might of China, even as New Delhi has sought
to strengthen its bilateral dialogue with Beijing over the
last two decades, a top Indian diplomat based here has said.
"China is our largest neighbour and its rise is a reality
that entire world faces today," the Indian Ambassador to the
US, Nirupama Rao, said in her remarks at the University of
California-Berkeley on Monday.
"I am often asked whether our relationship with China
will be one dominated by increasing competition for influence
or for resources.
"I would not like to characterise our relations in such
stark terms," Rao said according to the transcripts of the
speech release by the Indian Embassy on Tuesday.
"Over the last two decades we have sought to deepen our
dialogue and strengthen bilateral relations.
"Today China is our largest trading partner in goods.
"Peace and tranquility have prevailed in the India-China
border areas," she said.
"At the same time we do remain alert to the fact that
China`s growing ability to project its military strength, its
rapid military modernisation, and its visible and growing
reach introduces a new calculus in the security situation in
our region," Rao said.
"The challenge therefore, is to manage the India-China
relationship despite inherent complexities and challenges,
embedding it in the matrix of dialogue and diplomacy," said
the Indian Ambassador.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Shravan 2016: Today is the first Somwar - Know what you need to do
- Eight dead, 20 missing in Malaysia boat accident
- Sandeep Yadav – Narsingh Yadav's roommate, also fails doping test
- KSRTC, BMTC strike begins today; two-day holiday for schools declared
- Dinosaur species may shed new light on megaraptorids