India alert to growing military might of China
Washington: India remains alert to the
growing military might of China, even as New Delhi has sought
to strengthen its bilateral dialogue with Beijing over the
last two decades, a top Indian diplomat based here has said.
"China is our largest neighbour and its rise is a reality
that entire world faces today," the Indian Ambassador to the
US, Nirupama Rao, said in her remarks at the University of
California-Berkeley on Monday.
"I am often asked whether our relationship with China
will be one dominated by increasing competition for influence
or for resources.
"I would not like to characterise our relations in such
stark terms," Rao said according to the transcripts of the
speech release by the Indian Embassy on Tuesday.
"Over the last two decades we have sought to deepen our
dialogue and strengthen bilateral relations.
"Today China is our largest trading partner in goods.
"Peace and tranquility have prevailed in the India-China
border areas," she said.
"At the same time we do remain alert to the fact that
China`s growing ability to project its military strength, its
rapid military modernisation, and its visible and growing
reach introduces a new calculus in the security situation in
our region," Rao said.
"The challenge therefore, is to manage the India-China
relationship despite inherent complexities and challenges,
embedding it in the matrix of dialogue and diplomacy," said
the Indian Ambassador.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened