India allows differences to co-exist in peace and harmony: President Pranab
New Delhi: India has the unique trait of allowing differences exist side by side as peace and harmony are the core of our 5,000-year-old civilisation, President Pranab Mukherjee said on Wednesday.
The President said this after he met children affected by the recent ethnic violence that hit several areas of Assam.
The children from Kokrajhar and Chirang districts were also joined by youngsters from Ladakh and Budgam regions of Jammu and Kashmir.
Mukherjee told them that it was important that the people of these areas feel connected with the rest of the country.
Referring to India`s diversity and 5,000 year-old civilisation, Mukherjee told the students that they will see ancient history and civilisation co-exist with a rising modern India wherever they go in the country.
A Rashtrapati Bhavan statement said the President highlighted the fact that India allows differences to exist side by side in peace and harmony as these are the core of our civilisation.
He asked the youth to take back with them the message of peace, harmony and friendship to their home towns and spread the same across the country, the statement said.
The children were brought by the Army under its `Operation Sadbhavna` which aims to take young people from troubled areas on tours to different regions to connect them to the rest of India.
The programme is intended to reinforce the spirit of nationalism and patriotism among the younger generation in these areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Scorpene data leak unintentional, navy will address all concerns: Parrikar
- Day/Night Duleep Trophy: India Red crush India Green by 219 runs
- UEFA Europa League Draw: Groups, Fixtures, Top clashes – All you need to know!
- Beware! If you are woman and using elevator alone - WATCH Video
- Power Series Conclave on 'Make in India' organised by The Dollar Business on Aug 24