India an important country: Hagel
Washington: Terming India as an important country, US Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel on Thursday said that the country would continue to play a stabilising role in the region.
"India is a very important country, will continue to be an important power not just in the region, in the world, economically, diplomatically, in every way," Hagel told reporters.
"India will continue to play a very stabilizing role in that part of the world," he said in response to a question on emerging threat from China, as seen by its neighbours, which he described as a great power.
"China is a great power, will continue to be a great power. It has interests. Certainly those interests include the Pacific and Asia. We have interests as well. I think always the key to relationships with great powers is common interests," he said.
"You anchor relationships around common interests. You don`t start with your differences. And that`s what we`ll continue to do is build onto those common interests with China, economic, diplomatic, military to military. And that`s the responsible approach," the Defence Secretary explained.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets