India announces 500 mn USD package for Afghan
Kabul: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Thursday announced a fresh Indian aid package of 500 million US dollars
for Afghanistan with focus on social sector, agriculture,
capacity building and infrastructure projects.
"We have decided to make a fresh commitment valued at
approximately 500 million US dollars over the next few years,"
he said at a joint press conference with Afghan President
Hamid Karzai here after their talks.
India already has a commitment of 1.5 billion US dollars
The new package will consist of specific projects and
schemes and other initiatives that will be developed in
consultation with the Afghan government, Singh said.
Giving a broad outline, he said India will increase its
focus on the social sector, agriculture, capacity building,
access to Indian market and continue with its infrastructure
Of the new aid package, 100 million US dollars will be
for the third phase of India`s programme of small development
projects, over and above the previous pledge of 20 million US
The package will also include donation of 1000 buses for
Kabul and other municipalities with provision for maintenance
support, training and infrastructure.
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part IV
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?
- PM Narendra Modi takes his place alongside other world leaders at Madame Tussauds
- Indra Nooyi, Satya Nadella, Bhavesh Patel among highest paid CEOs in world
- Oh fresh! You can't afford to miss these pictures from Bipasha Basu, Karan Singh Grover's pooja ceremony
- 7th Pay Commission: New pay scales to put extra burden of Rs 1.02 lakh cr in FY17
- Indian Premier League 2016, Match 24: Mumbai Indians vs Kolkata Knight Riders — As it happened...