India announces humanitarian assistance of $3 mn to Libya
United Nations: India on Thursday announced a humanitarian assistance of USD 3 million to strife torn Libya where the clashes between the forces of Muammar Gaddafi and the opposition continue unabated.
This comprising USD 1 million cash through UN Office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) and relief material and medicines to the tune of USD 1 million to Benghazi and Tripoli each, said an official statement issued
by the Permanent Mission of India to the UN.
The cheque of USD 1 million was handed over to the Under Secretary General for Humanitarian Affairs Valerie Amos at New York yesterday by India`s Permanent Representative to the UN Hardeep Singh Puri, the statement said.
In fresh clashes in Libya, Gaddafi`s forces attacked the country`s third-largest city Misrata yesterday.
Between 2,000 and 3,000 Gaddafi troops had attacked the Mediterranean port city from the south, west and east, killing 10 rebel fighters and wounding 26, reports said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof