India asks Iran to fully cooperate with IAEA
United Nations: India has asked Iran to fully cooperate with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to restore confidence of the international community that its nuclear programme is peaceful in nature.
India`s acting Permanent Representative to the United Nations Manjeev Singh Puri on Tuesday said New Delhi has consistently supported the right of all nations to peaceful uses of nuclear energy in accordance with relevant international treaties to which they are a party.
"Iran should fully cooperate with the IAEA to restore the confidence in the exclusively peaceful nature of its nuclear programme," Puri said at a Security Council briefing here on UN Resolution 1737, which had imposed sanctions against Tehran for failing to stop its uranium enrichment programme.
The Western nations suspect Iran, despite its repeated denials, of wanting to build a nuclear bomb under cover of its civilian atomic programme.
Puri expressed hope that the outstanding technical issues concerning the Iranian nuclear programme would be resolved peacefully through Iran’s cooperation with the IAEA.
He said India welcomes the recent exchanges between Iran and the IAEA, including the visit of the Director General of the agency to Tehran as well as the talks between the P5+1 and Iran held in Istanbul and Baghdad during the last two months.
"We think that these talks should continue and hope that the parties will be able to make progress in the next round scheduled for next week in Moscow," Puri added.
He said India supports the full implementation of relevant resolutions of the Security Council concerning the Iranian nuclear issue.
However, while implementing these resolutions, it is necessary that all efforts should be made so that legitimate trade and economic activities do not suffer, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka