India asks Israel to end its settlement activity
New York: India has asked Israel to end its settlement activity in West Bank and East Jerusalem, saying such a move is creating "new realities" on the ground and is threatening the very premise of a two-state solution with Palestine.
"Developments in the Occupied Palestinian Territories.. have been most unhelpful for the Palestinian cause," India`s Permanent Representative to the UN Ambassador Hardeep Singh Puri said, at a Security Council open debate on "the situation in the Middle East, including the Palestinian question, here on Wednesday.
"The intensification of settlement activities by Israel, despite widespread international condemnation, in the West Bank and East Jerusalem are creating new realities on the ground, thereby threatening the very premise of a two-state solution," Puri said.
"We join others in urging Israel to end the settlement activity in order for the Palestinian side to come to the negotiating table," he said.
Puri expressed concern that no direct talks have taken place between Israel and Palestine for more than two years and said the continuing stalemate in the Middle East peace process is not in the interest of the region.
He said settlements, roadblocks and related infrastructure of occupation continue to cause severe hardships to the Palestinian population and adversely affect the normal functioning of Palestinian state institutions.
The Palestinian Authority is also facing severe financial crisis, which threatens to erode the progress made in building Palestinian state institutions, he said.
The blockade of Gaza, which is in its sixth year, is affecting essential services, economic activities and infrastructure development.
Puri said while Israel has taken measures to allow flow of essential goods into Gaza, these cannot be a substitute for lifting the blockade.
"Recent hostilities in Gaza are again a stark reminder to the international community of the dangers that continuing stalemate in the peace process can bring about. We hope both parties will continue to uphold the ceasefire agreement and implement its provisions in good faith," he said.
Puri noted that the overwhelming vote in the General Assembly in November last year, upgrading the status of Palestine to a non-member state is a "decisive achievement" for Palestine in its long and arduous struggle to reach its final goal of an independent and viable Palestinian State.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues