India asks Lanka to fully implement power devolution provision
New Delhi: India on Friday emphasised to Sri Lanka the need to fully implement the constitutional provision dealing with devolution of powers to provinces without dilution and to go beyond it to ensure meaningful development there, on a day the Lankan government announced the much-awaited election in Tamil-dominated Northern province.
External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid conveyed India`s views to visiting Lankan Minister of Economic Development Basil Rajapaksa, who informed Khurshid about the announcement on the conduct of elections.
Expressing his appreciation for the announcement, Khurshid also "emphasized on the need to fully implement the provisions of 13th Amendment (13A) and to go beyond it so as to ensure meaningful development of Sri Lanka. He urged Rajapaksa not to do anything to dilute the provisions of the 13th Amendment," official sources said.
On his part, the Lankan Minister expressed his appreciation for the vast number of projects that are being undertaken by India especially in the Northern and Eastern provinces.
"He said that there was great appreciation amongst the people of Sri Lanka for the variety of projects being undertaken, especially the housing project which was proceeding extremely well," the sources said.
Concerned over reports of Sri Lanka considering removal of land and police powers prior to the northern elections, Khurshid had spoken to his Lankan counterpart GL Peiris recently and underlined the need to leave the 13A unchanged, urging Colombo not to take any step contrary to its own commitments relating to the Amendment.
Apart from Khurshid, Rajapaksa held meetings with the National Security Advisor and the Foreign Secretary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price