India asks Pakistan to release Sarabjit Singh
New Delhi: India on Monday asked Pakistan to release death row convict Sarabjit Singh, whose condition remains critical after being brutally assaulted by jail inmates in Lahore, and demanded that a through investigation be done into the attack to ensure punishment to the guilty.
The Indian government also asked Pakistan to consider the option of transferring 49-year-old Sarabjit to India so that he can benefit from the best medical treatment available here.
Based on the most recent medical bulletin put out by doctors treating him, it is clear that his condition remains critical, Ministry of External Affairs said, adding that it "shares the anguish and concern of his family members, and our prayers will remain with them".
In a statement, the ministry said, "In view of the recent tragic events and present circumstances, we once again appeal to the Government of Pakistan to take a sympathetic and humanitarian view of this case, and release Sarabjit Singh."
It reiterated its demands that the attack on Sarabjit be thoroughly investigated to identify those who were responsible and to ensure that they are punished.
MEA also noted that "it is the responsibility of the Government of Pakistan to ensure the safety and security of all Indian prisoners in their custody."
Meanwhile, the ministry said officials of the Indian High Commission are in touch with the medical authorities at Jinnah Hospital in Lahore and "we would like them to consider the option of transferring Sarabjit Singh to India so that he can benefit from the best medical treatment available here."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video