India asks Pakistan to return Sarabjit`s belongings
New Delhi: India has asked Pakistan to return all personal belongings of Sarabjit Singh, who was killed in a Lahore jail a few months ago.
New Delhi has written to Islamabad that Sarabjit`s belongings -- clothes and other items -- which he kept with him during his stay in the infamous Kot Lakhpat jail should be returned.
India has also asked Pakistan to hand over the money Sarabjit had earned through prison work.
The move came after Sarabjit`s sister Dalbir Kaur requested Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde last month to bring back his belongings from the Kot Lakhpat jail.
Kaur had said a memorial would be constructed in Sarabjit`s village in Punjab and all his belongings and the money he had earned will be kept there as memorabilia.
Sarabjit was convicted by a Pakistani court after his arrest for terrorism in 1991 and kept in the Pakistani prison till he was attacked by fellow inmates in April. A few days later he died in a hospital in Lahore.
However, India had been maintaining that Sarabjit was a farmer who strayed into Pakistan from his village located along the border in an inebriated condition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- New compound may help fight epilepsy
- 'Jethalal' promotes Varun Dhawan starrer 'Dishoom' by flaunting his unique swag! Watch video
- BIZARRE! Panchayat slaps Rs 5 lakh fine on Haryana school after Eid celebration
- Twinkle Khanna slams Naseeruddin Shah online! - Know why
- Singapore-based company develops robot therapist to help relieve muscle strains