India asks US to take lenient view of duped Indian students
New Delhi: India has asked the US to take a
"lenient" view of the students duped by a California-based
"sham" university amidst reports that they were forced to wear
radio collars around their ankles so that American authorities
can keep a track of their movements.
Maintaining that the the fraud was done by the US
university, Minister for Overseas Indian Affairs Vayalar Ravi
today said "we requested the state department to take a
lenient view because all the students are innocent."
He said the university had no registration and it was not
the fault of the Indian students.
Ravi said the Indian Consulate General there was in touch
with the local authorities on the issue and they are waiting
for a report and only then they will know what assistance
should be given to the students.
Duped by the authorities of Tri-Valley University, which
has been shut down, hundreds of Indian students, mostly from
Andhra Pradesh, faced deportation back home after having lost
their student visa status.
According to a federal complaint filed in a California
court last week, the University helped foreign nationals
illegally acquire immigration status. The students are
reported to have paid lakhs of rupees for obtaining a visa for
their category and also for students` work permit.
Meanwhile, sources said the wearing of trackers was part
of the procedure in cases where there was a possibility of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Brexit 'wake-up call for Europe', says Austrian President Heinz Fischer
- SHOCKING! Islamic State-linked Saudi twin brothers attack own family, stab mother
- Sri Lanka's parliament votes in favour of right to information bill
- WATCH: What a dance! Sizzling performance by IIT-Delhi girls on Sunny Leone's Baby Doll - You'll go mad!
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death