India assures help to Pak in Sanaullah case
New Delhi: India on Thursday assured Pakistan that it would make all necessary arrangements to facilitate the request that Pakistani prisoner Sanaullah Ranjay`s body be sent back home.
"We tried to take all necessary measures medically and otherwise to save the Pakistani prisoner Sanaullah Ranjay. Unfortunately despite our best efforts he succumbed to the injuries and died in the hospital today (Thursday) morning and we are have informed the Pakistani authorities about it and are in touch with them," Ministry of External Affairs spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin said.
"Our understanding is that they (Pakistan government) would request for his body to be sent back and I would like to assure that we will make all necessary arrangements to facilitate that request," Akbaruddin said.
"They may send a flight. We are waiting for the details of the flight to process it and to facilitate in that endeavour," the MEA spokesperson added.
Sanaullah, who had been at the Post-Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) hospital after being attacked by a fellow inmate at Jammu`s Kot Bhalwal jail May 3, died just before 8 a.m. Thursday.
The Pakistani had been in deep coma since he was flown to Chandigarh from Jammu last Friday.
Sanaullah had suffered renal failure Wednesday.
The attack on Sanaullah took place a day after Sarabjit Singh, an Indian prisoner in Pakistan, succumbed to grievous injuries following a vicious assault in Lahore`s Kot Lakhpat Jail.
Sanaullah was arrested in 1996 and charged with involvement in a bomb blast at Katra near the Hindu shrine of Mata Vaishno Devi in 1994 which left 10 people dead. He was serving life term in the Jammu jail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot