India, Bangladesh launch joint military exercise
Dhaka: Indian and Bangladeshi forces today
launched a joint exercise in the northeastern Sylhet as part
of efforts to deepen military ties and cooperation in
counter-terrorism and counter-insurgency operations.
The 14-day exercise that will continue till October 22 is
the second phase of `Op Sampriti`.
An Indian Air Force plane carrying 25-members of army
team, led by Major S Y Mahadik, reached Osmani International
Airport in Sylhet from Jorhat, a defence ministry statement
"This is the second phase of `Op Sampriti` which is aimed
to develop professional expertise of both the armies and
strengthen military to military relationship," an army
The first phase of `Op Sampriti` was held at Jorhat in
Assam from November 1-4 last year.
Indian army sources earlier said the two sides would
"practice counter-terrorism and counter-insurgency operations
under the UN mandate".
India is fielding around 40 troops of its elite 21 Para
(Special Forces) battalion for the exercise whereas the
Bangladesh Army has deployed one of its Para Commando
Indian officials in New Delhi said the two sides are
aiming to further enhance their mutual understanding through
increased military-to-military contacts.
Military relations between the two sides received a boost
when Indian Army Chief General V K Singh visited Dhaka last
year and gifted howitzers and modern computers to the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read