India-Bangladesh Passport to be discontinued from November 15
Kolkata: The India-Bangladesh Passport (IBP) will be discontinued with effect from November 15 this year.
"Pursuant to the signing of the Revised Travel Arrangements (RTA) between India and Bangladesh signed on January 28, 2013, it has been decided by the Ministry of External Affairs to discontinue issuance of IBP with effect from November 15, 2013," Passport Granting Officer (Administration) under Regional Passport Office here said in a release today.
IBP was introduced as a special travel document in August, 1972 to facilitate travel between India and Bangladesh only.
Over the years the Centre delegated powers to state governments of Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Tripura and West Bengal to issue IBPs.
In order to implement the RTA between the two countries and to phase out issuance of the IBP, the following course of action has been approved by the Centre for implementation, the release said, adding IBPs already issued would remain valid till the expiry of their duration.
No new application for IBP would be accepted by any state government concerned after November 15, 2013 and all applications received on or before that date should be processed and IBPs issued expeditiously, it said.
No India-Bangladesh Passport should be issued after November 30, 2013 and all state governments concerned have been informed accordingly, the release added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part II
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future? - Part II
- Top 10 stocks to be on radar post Brexit
- India's forex reserves adequate to tackle Brexit impact: RBI
- Wimbledon: Leander Paes and Rohan Bopanna face-off likely in pre-quarters
- Pak envoy Abdul Basit unfazed by LeT attack in J&K's Pampore, says 'let's enjoy Iftar party'
- Euro 2016: Italy`s Antonio Candreva to miss pre-quarters clash with Spain