India, Bangladesh to discuss Teesta river water sharing
New Delhi: Ahead of Bangladesh Prime Minister
Sheikh Hasina`s visit here next week, India and Bangladesh
hold secretary-level talks from Monday in an effort to reach
an agreement on the proposed Teesta river water sharing
The two sides will discuss in Dhaka modalities of
assessing availability of water in the river as also dredging
and anti-erosion works on Ichhamati river and drinking water
project for Tripura on Feni river.
The visit of the Indian delegation comes days ahead of
the visit of Hasina to India from January 10.
During the visit of Bangladesh Foreign Minister Dipu
Moni to New Delhi in September last year, both sides had
recognised the need to expedite negotiations to finalise an
agreement for sharing of the waters of Teesta river.
As part of that, the two neighbours had agreed to start
Joint Hydrological Observations on the river. "This is a
follow-up of the visit where the modalities of joint
observation (on availability of water) will be discussed,"
Water Resources Secretary Umesh Narain Panjiar told PTI here.
Panjiar is heading the eight-member Indian delegation to
The two sides will also discuss bank protection works and
dredging of Ichhamati river on the West Bengal-Bangladesh
border and minor irrigation and drinking water schemes for
Tripura on Feni, a trans-boundary river which flows from South
Tripura to Bangladesh.
India had been discussing the water-sharing issue with
Dhaka and for the purpose a Joint Committee of Experts had
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed