India bans journalistic activities on tourist visa
New Delhi: India has banned journalistic activities by foreigners visiting the country on tourist visa.
The order has been issued by the Home Ministry after noticing that foreigners coming on tourist visa are involved in coverage of events and other journalistic activities.
"Tourist visa is not the appropriate visa for journalistic activities by the foreigners. Tourist visa is issued to foreigners who do not have residence or occupation in India and whose sole objective of visiting India is recreation, sightseeing, casual visit to meet friends and relatives etc.
"No other activity is permissible on tourist visa," a Home Ministry official said on Wednesday.
The action came after the government found that Roger Bilham, a geophysicist at the University of Colorado, had been visiting India since 1967 multiple times on tourist visa and was engaged in journalistic activities.
Bilham had written 81 articles on Indian tectonics and on Indian nuclear projects and some scientists have alleged that Bilham`s views were "scare-mongering".
Bilham, was detained at Indira Gandhi International airport here in May, 2012, and denied entry to India.
The Home Ministry has requested Ministry of External Affairs to convey the directive to all Indian Missions/Posts abroad. All state governments and authorities concerned in the country have also been requested to ensure strict compliance of the order, the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest