India, B`desh determined to combat militancy: PC
Dhaka: India and Bangladesh were determined to jointly combat the menace of militancy and terrorism, Home Minister P Chidambaram has said.
Chidambaram said India was comfortable with security cooperation with its eastern neighbour.
"In the last two-and-half-years I have been the Home Minister of India, I cannot recall having made any complaint against Bangladesh," he told during a joint press conference with his Bangladeshi counterpart Sahara Khatun after talks at the secretariat.
Asked if the Indian complaints about Bangladesh patronage of separatist elements was still valid, Chidambaram said, on the contrary, on numerous occasions he appreciated Dhaka`s splendid cooperation in supporting New Delhi to apprehend insurgents.
In the past, India had complained that insurgents found Bangladesh`s territory in rugged frontiers a safe haven, a charge denied by Dhaka.
The Home Minister, who is on a 24-hour visit here, said both countries now recognized the importance of cooperation on security issues and were determined to "jointly combat the menace of insurgency, militancy and terrorism".
"We are glad that our leaderships had agreed that the territory of either would not be allowed for activities inimical to the other," Chidambaram said.
He said both the countries resolved "not to allow their respective territory to be used for training, sanctuary and other operations by domestic or foreign terrorists or militants and insurgent organizations and their operatives".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!