India, B`desh discuss extradition treaty, border issues
Dhaka: Progress on an extradition treaty, repatriation of ULFA leader Anup Chetia and border related figured in talks between the home secretaries of India and Bangladesh here on Tuesday.
"We are happy with the progress that has been made and discussions we had have regarding the extradition treaty (today)," Indian home secretary RK Singh told reporters at a joint press briefing after concluding talks with his Bangladesh counterpart CQ Mushtaq Ahmed.
Ahmed acknowledged the receipt of an Indian draft of the proposed treaty seeking mutual repatriation of wanted or convicted persons and said an inter-ministerial review was underway on the draft in Bangladesh.
Both the home secretaries, however, said despite the absence of the treaty, wanted persons in each other`s country could be extradited under the SAARC charter and UN convention.
"Our cooperation in fighting terrorism is very strong (despite the absence of the extradition treaty) and other instruments too are in place in this regard," Singh said.
Ahmed said the issue of repatriation of Chetia was also discussed. He told his counterpart that Dhaka could take a decision on the issue on disposal of a pending case in High Court challenging his return.
A joint statement issued after the meeting said, "the Indian home secretary conveyed (India`s) appreciation... For extending cooperation for addressing the security concerns of India particularly in dealing with the Indian insurgent groups".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog