India begins construction on new nuclear plant
Rawatbhata: Moving ahead with its nuclear programme in the backdrop of the Fukushima
accident, India on Monday began construction of its 25th atomic power plant.
The first pour of concrete for the 700 MW indigenous Pressurised Heavy Water Reactor (PHWR), the seventh nuclear plant at the Rajasthan Atomic Power Station (RAPS), took place
in this bustling Rajasthan township, about 65 km from Kota.
The first pour of concrete ceremony, which signals the beginning of the construction of a nuclear plant, was attended by Atomic Energy Commission Chairman Srikumar Banerjee and
Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) CMD Shreyans Kumar Jain.
Banerjee gave the command to pour the concrete by pressing the button on the control panel of the concrete pressure pump. Soon after the M45 grade concrete began pouring
in the foundation of what would be the emergency core cooling system of the new reactor building.
The concrete is being poured at the rate of 90 cubic metres per hour and at a controlled temperature of 19 degree Celsius. To monitor the temperature, ice is being mixed with
The 700 MW PHWR, designed by NPCIL by scaling up its 540 MW PHWRs under operation at Tarapur since 2005, is expected to be completed in the next five years.
Banerjee said, "The 540 MW PHWR at Tarapur was built by NPCIL in a record time of four years and ten months. We will try to beat that record".
RAPS already has six units of PHWRs, five of which are producing over 1180 MW, the largest from a single site.
Construction for the seventh unit began today and excavation work is currently on for the eighth unit, also a 700 MW PHWR.
The NPCIL currently operates 20 nuclear power plants across six sites and has an installed capacity of 4780 MW.
The Centre had given a financial sanction of Rs 24,000 crore in October 2009 for building four units of 700 MW of PHWRs -- two each at Kakrapar and Rawatbhata in Rajashtan.
Two 700 MW PHWRs each are expected to come up at Bargi in Madhya Pradesh and Fatehabad in Haryana.
The NPCIL is building two 1000 MW VVER type nuclear power plants at Kudankulam and two 700 MW PHWRs at Kakrapar in Gujarat. Unit 1 and 2 at Kudankulam are expected to be operational by August this year and May next year
Both the 700 MW units at Kakrapar are expected to start producing power by 2015 end.
Besides the 20 operating and five under-construction reactors, the Bharatiya Nabhikiya Vidyut Nigam is building a 500 MW prototype fast breeder reactor at Kalpakkam.
With the progressive completion of the Kudankulam reactors and the four 700 MW PHWRs at Kakrapar and Rawatbhata, the installed nuclear power capacity of NPCIL is expected to reach 9580 MW by 2016.
Questions were raised on safety of operating nuclear power plants after the nuclear accident at Fukushima in Japan triggered by a tsunami after a nine magnitude earthquake.
The NPCIL conducted a thorough review of all the nuclear power plants across the country and found them to be safe. It is also incorporating additional safety measures at various plant sites following the Fukushima accident in March this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mbose.in HSSLC SSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (Megresults.nic.in) MBOSE Tura 10th 12th (Arts) board exam results 2016 to be announced today on May 25
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM