India better off under British? RSS thinks so
New Delhi: In what can spur off a controversial debate the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) on Wednesday said that the country was in a much better situation under the British rule.
As per reports in a leading daily, the RSS sarsanghchalak Mohan Bhagwat lamented on the fact that the ‘rich and the influential’ were dominating politics. He also raised concerns on the increasing price rise and high inflation.
The RSS chief was quoted by the newspaper as saying, “All political parties were in power at some time or the other during the last 64 years but the situation has not improved. Hence, citizens must introspect as to what went wrong.”
Mohan Bhagwat’s statement can also be seen as a condemnation of the NDA rule of six years under Atal Bihari Vajpayee. BJP is the political wing of RSS.
This comment by the RSS comes at a time when the organization has been under attack for being involved in terror activities by political parties like the Congress and the Left after the recent arrest of former RSS worker Kamal Chauhan in Samjhauta Express blast case.
The NIA had arrested the Indore-based RSS worker for his alleged role in the 2007 train attack that left 68 people, mostly Pakistanis, dead.
Chouhan is believed to be a close aide of Ramji Kalsangra and Sandeep Dange, key accused in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title