India-born archbishop named Vatican`s top UN envoy
Vatican City: Pope Benedict XVI Saturday named a India-born archbishop, Francis Assisi Chullikatt, as the Vatican`s top envoy at the UN.
Chullikat, 57, takes up the position of Holy See Permanent Observer at the UN, replacing Archbishop Celestino Migliore who last month was named the Vatican`s apostolic nuncio to Poland.
Born in Bolghatty, in the southern Indian state of Kerala, Chullikat, who has a degree in church law, was ordained a priest in 1978.
He has served as a Vatican diplomat in Honduras, in southern Africa and the Philippines as well as at the Vatican Secretariat for Relations with the States - the Holy See`s equivalent of a foreign ministry.
In 2006, Chullikat was consecrated as a archbishop and appointed apostolic nuncio, or Vatican ambassador to Jordan and Iraq.
The world`s tiniest sovereign state, the Vatican was in 1964 granted the status of non-voting permanent observer state at the UN.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy