India-born archbishop named Vatican`s top UN envoy
Vatican City: Pope Benedict XVI Saturday named a India-born archbishop, Francis Assisi Chullikatt, as the Vatican`s top envoy at the UN.
Chullikat, 57, takes up the position of Holy See Permanent Observer at the UN, replacing Archbishop Celestino Migliore who last month was named the Vatican`s apostolic nuncio to Poland.
Born in Bolghatty, in the southern Indian state of Kerala, Chullikat, who has a degree in church law, was ordained a priest in 1978.
He has served as a Vatican diplomat in Honduras, in southern Africa and the Philippines as well as at the Vatican Secretariat for Relations with the States - the Holy See`s equivalent of a foreign ministry.
In 2006, Chullikat was consecrated as a archbishop and appointed apostolic nuncio, or Vatican ambassador to Jordan and Iraq.
The world`s tiniest sovereign state, the Vatican was in 1964 granted the status of non-voting permanent observer state at the UN.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried