India calls for discussion with US on IPR issue
New Delhi: India Thursday invited the United States for discussion on the intellectual property rights (IPR) issue after the general elections, while making it clear that it won`t allow any unilateral probe from American authorities.
Addressing a media conference here, Commerce Secretary Rajeev Kher said India is ready to discuss any issue related to trade and intellectual property rights at the India-US Trade Policy Forum.
"It appears to be a wise decision on the part of the US to not hasten to take any decision which could have impacted bilateral trade, particularly when we are in the process of political transition," Kher said.
The Indian official`s comments came a day after the US Trade Representative (USTR) kept India out of the Priority Foreign Country list in its annual "Special 301" report on IPR.
This means US considers that India has intellectual property laws.
Kher said the report of the US Trade Representative was a unilateral measure and the government of India has not agreed to be party to any such investigation.
Kher claimed that India`s intellectual property rights regulations were fully compliant with international standards and the World Trade Organization and the US must recognise it.
"Each side has to recognise the constraints. US has to understand India`s situation. India is not in violation of any of its bilateral, multilateral agreements on any platform," the commerce secretary said.
Kher said he would meet deputy US trade representative Wendy Cutler in late June or early July to discuss the trade and IPR related issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!