India calls for discussion with US on IPR issue
New Delhi: India Thursday invited the United States for discussion on the intellectual property rights (IPR) issue after the general elections, while making it clear that it won`t allow any unilateral probe from American authorities.
Addressing a media conference here, Commerce Secretary Rajeev Kher said India is ready to discuss any issue related to trade and intellectual property rights at the India-US Trade Policy Forum.
"It appears to be a wise decision on the part of the US to not hasten to take any decision which could have impacted bilateral trade, particularly when we are in the process of political transition," Kher said.
The Indian official`s comments came a day after the US Trade Representative (USTR) kept India out of the Priority Foreign Country list in its annual "Special 301" report on IPR.
This means US considers that India has intellectual property laws.
Kher said the report of the US Trade Representative was a unilateral measure and the government of India has not agreed to be party to any such investigation.
Kher claimed that India`s intellectual property rights regulations were fully compliant with international standards and the World Trade Organization and the US must recognise it.
"Each side has to recognise the constraints. US has to understand India`s situation. India is not in violation of any of its bilateral, multilateral agreements on any platform," the commerce secretary said.
Kher said he would meet deputy US trade representative Wendy Cutler in late June or early July to discuss the trade and IPR related issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?