India calls for national reconciliation in Libya
United Nations: Noting that proliferation of weapons has emerged as a major threat to stability in Libya, India has asked the new authorities in Tripoli to undertake an inclusive political process for national reconciliation.
"The international community, including the Security Council and the ICC (International Criminal Court), should fully assist the Libyan authorities in this process," India`s Permanent Representative Hardeep Singh Puri said Wednesday.
"This inclusive approach to national reconciliation, anchored in state sovereignty, is the only way to overcome the multitude of problems that Libya is facing in the present, the ostensible post-conflict scenario," he said at a UN Security Council briefing on Libya.
Noting that the ICC Prosecutor`s immediate goal is to complete the investigation into the alleged crimes against humanity and war crimes, Puri hoped he will carry out a thorough and impartial investigation into all alleged crimes by all parties to the conflict in Libya.
"The Prosecutor must not be influenced by non-judicial considerations and focus his attention solely on prosecution without diversion due to extraneous considerations," he said.
"All those responsible for committing crimes, covered under the Rome Statute, should be held accountable, irrespective of which side to the conflict they may belong to," Puri said.
"Political or other non-judicial considerations should not exonerate anybody from prosecution for the crimes committed," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi