India calls off defence talks with Lanka
New Delhi: Amidst severe attack by Tamil parties over engagement with Sri Lanka, Government has called off the annual defence dialogue with that country scheduled to start from March 23.
No reason was given for cancellation of the Secretary-level talks which were to be held here for three days.
"The Annual Defence Dialogue with Sri Lanka has been called off," a source told PTI, adding new dates have not been decided yet.
During the talks, the two sides were to discuss ways to strengthen defence ties and finalise future military exercises.
The decision has come at a time when Tamil Nadu parties are up in arms over India`s engagement with Sri Lanka.
Tamil parties, including key UPA ally DMK, has been criticising the government for holding training for Sri Lankan forces, which has subsequently been shifted from South to North India.
However, India has also maintained that it will not cease military ties with Sri Lanka and continue to provide training to its personnel in Indian military academies and institutions.
India had shifted the exercise between Special Forces of the two countries from Belgaum in Karnataka to Nahan in Himachal Pradesh.
Likewise, it had also instructed the Navy to hold war games with the Lankan Navy away from the waters of four South Indian states.
In the recent days, DMK has accused the government of being soft on alleged atrocities by Sri Lankan forces against ethnic Tamils and even threatened to withdraw support if India does not support a resolution against Sri Lanka at the UN Human Rights Council.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town