India calls off defence talks with Lanka
New Delhi: Amidst severe attack by Tamil parties over engagement with Sri Lanka, Government has called off the annual defence dialogue with that country scheduled to start from March 23.
No reason was given for cancellation of the Secretary-level talks which were to be held here for three days.
"The Annual Defence Dialogue with Sri Lanka has been called off," a source told PTI, adding new dates have not been decided yet.
During the talks, the two sides were to discuss ways to strengthen defence ties and finalise future military exercises.
The decision has come at a time when Tamil Nadu parties are up in arms over India`s engagement with Sri Lanka.
Tamil parties, including key UPA ally DMK, has been criticising the government for holding training for Sri Lankan forces, which has subsequently been shifted from South to North India.
However, India has also maintained that it will not cease military ties with Sri Lanka and continue to provide training to its personnel in Indian military academies and institutions.
India had shifted the exercise between Special Forces of the two countries from Belgaum in Karnataka to Nahan in Himachal Pradesh.
Likewise, it had also instructed the Navy to hold war games with the Lankan Navy away from the waters of four South Indian states.
In the recent days, DMK has accused the government of being soft on alleged atrocities by Sri Lankan forces against ethnic Tamils and even threatened to withdraw support if India does not support a resolution against Sri Lanka at the UN Human Rights Council.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Piers Morgan pokes fun at India's performance in Rio: Here's how Virender Sehwag SHUT him down
- Raj Thackeray defies SC order, MNS ties Dahi-Handi at 49 feet in Thane
- Fashion for me is feeling glamorous, confident: Shraddha Kapoor
- Jio does Apple, people throng Reliance Stores for free 4G test SIM
- SHOCKING: DySP forces women trainees to mention their period dates, makes fun of pregnant cadet