‘India can make missiles with 8,000 km range’
Bangalore: India is capable of developing missiles that can hit targets located at more than 8,000 km away, a top official on Wednesday said.
"We will develop it as and when we see a need to develop a missile longer in range than Agni-V. We have the capability to do it," Scientific Advisor to the Defence Minister V K Saraswat told reporters here.
Since DRDO had already crossed the `threshold` of making a system with longer capability and developing its sub- systems, making a longer version of Agni-V would be easier, Saraswat, also the Director General of Defence Research Organisation, said.
Last month, India test-fired nuclear-capable Agni-V Inter-Continental Ballistic Missile that brought China within its reach with a strike range of over 5000 km.
Saraswat said Agni-V can double up as a satellite launcher for hurling small-sized spacecraft into the space.
Agni-V had major propulsion blocks and a kind of aviation technology which makes it a suitable launch vehicle for sending small satellites into space, he added.
DRDO had started work on it, he said but refused to give a timeframe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?