India can play important role in Afghanistan: US
Washington: India can play an important role in Afghanistan, a senior US official has said ahead of an international conference to discuss funding for Afghan President Hamid Karzai`s plans for re-integration by winning over Taliban fighters.
"India has a very real role in the region for historic and strategic reasons," the US special representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan said Tuesday briefing reporters on July 20-21 Kabul Conference aimed at bringing about an eventual political solution for the war-torn nation.
"And they can play an important role in resolving these issues, going down the - looking forward into the middle distance," he said.
But it was for New Delhi to decide "who will represent India and how that will be done," said Holbrooke, who met the Indian ambassador to the US, Meera Shankar, to brief her about his recent trip to the Afghanistan-Pakistan region.
US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and many other foreign ministers are attending the conference to discuss the so-called re-integration programme.
"The Kabul conference will be a very important international demonstration of support for the Government of Afghanistan and they will outline their programmes," he said. "The money is starting to come in. This will be a major focus of the conference."
Foreign contributions to finance re-integration were already at about $180 million. The US Defence Department has reserved an additional $100 million for the programme.
Asked about the upcoming meeting of Indian and Pakistani foreign ministers in Islamabad, Holbrooke said, "Anything that reduces tensions and increases confidence and understanding between Pakistan and India is something we would encourage and support.
"But we are not directly involved in those talks," he said. "I did have a very good discussion this morning with the Indian ambassador to the United States who came and at my invitation so that I could brief her on the things we`re talking about here."
Karzai recently gave final approval for the integration-programme. "We talked about this a long time...(but) this is the real launch date. This is the announcement the programme its now assembled and ready to go," Holbrooke said.
All those who meet certain conditions, including renouncing violence, cutting all ties to Al Qaeda and abiding by Afghanistan`s constitution, may find a place in the new Afghanistan, he said. "In every war of this sort there is always a window for people who want to come in from the cold."
The US envoy said the conference would assess Afghanistan`s follow-up plans to improve security, governance and other issues seen as key to paving the way for the US to begin removing some of its 100,000 troops by July 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked