‘India cannot take `eyes off the ball` on 26/11’
New Delhi: On the eve of talks between Indo-
Pak Foreign Ministers, Home Minister P Chidambaram on Monday said that India cannot take its "eyes of the ball" on the issue of
26/11 terror attacks as Pakistan has "done very little" to
bring to justice those behind the carnage.
The Home Minister also ruled out that there was any
disconnect between his ministry and Minister of External
Affairs over the policy being pursued with Pakistan.
"We support engagement with Pakistan and we should engage
them in as many areas as possible...At the same time we
emphasise that on the issue of 26/11, we cannot take our eyes
off the ball," Chidambaram said to a news agency.
"We have to keep our focus on 26/11 and unfinished work
related to it i.e. to bring perpetrators, handlers and
controllers behind these terror attacks to justice. I cannot
take my eyes off that ball."
External Affairs Minister SM Krishna and newly-
appointed Pakistan Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar will
hold day-long talks on Wednesday during which a host of key
issues including Jammu and Kashmir, India`s concerns over
terror, trade, confidence-building measures and steps to
enhance people-to-people contacts are expected to be
It will be preceded by a meeting of Foreign Secretaries
of the two countries tomorrow during which the agenda for
ministerial meeting will be finalised.
Chidambaram said he has made it clear to his Pakistani
counterpart Rehman Malik that Islamabad is "morally and
legally bound to bring the perpetrators, the handlers and the
controllers before the court of law."
Noting that in the 26/11 probe case, Pakistan arrested
five-six people of which only two were "real players and rest
are foot-soldiers", he said there are many others who are
outside who need to be arrested and interrogated. "And if
there is any evidence, they need to be chargesheeted," he said.
Asked about his meetings with Malik and if Pakistan was
serious in taking action in 26/11 case, the Home Minister said
"I have to take whatever he says at face value and impress
upon him that these assurances have been given many times in
the past but there is actually no progress....".
On his equation with Malik, who never misses any
opportunity to reach out to him, Chidamabaram said "I have a
very formal and correct relationship with him. He is my
counterpart in Pakistan."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide