India cautious on Chinese incursion, Antony says negotiations on
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In the wake of China`s conditional refusal to pull back troops from Ladakh, Defence Minister AK Antony on Wednesday said that the government will take every possible step to protect national integrity.
"Our government will take every step to protect national integrity and security," Antony said, reacting to the Chinese incursion in Ladakh.
He added that "negotiations are on at various levels to resolve the issue peacefully".
Reports claimed on Wednesday that Beijing has asked New Delhi to dismantle several fortified positions in Daulat Beg Oldi (DBO) sector in Ladakh.
At the second flag meeting held on Tuesday following the April 15 incident when a platoon of troops from China`s People`s Liberation Army (PLA) intruded 10 kilometres inside the Indian territory in DBO sector and set up a tented post there, no resolution could be reached between the two sides.
As per reports, the Indian side refused to accept the Chinese demand and that led to an impasse.
Following the impasse, the Indian Army is planning to move more troops to the region, in what may further lead to an escalation in tensions. The Army had earlier sent a team of Ladakh Scouts -- an Infantry regiment specialising in mountain warfare -- to the DBO sector, manned by the troops of Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP), soon after the incursion was detected.
The Chinese side told India that its troops would not move out from Depsang until its demands were met.
Reports have claimed that on April 15, Chinese helicopters had violated Indian airspace as well.
On Tuesday, MEA spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin ha described the situation as being "face to face", but was hopeful of a peaceful resolution.
As per officials, at least 30 Chinese soldiers armed with light machine guns are camping 10 kms inside India`s perception of the Line of Actual Control (LAC) at Raki Nala. The nearest Indian post – of the ITBP – is at Burste, 20 kms away.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister