India, China agree to resolve border row, boost ties
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Terming Chinese Premier Li Keqiang’s visit to India as an honour, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Monday said that ties between the two countries are of significance for peaceful development, stability in the region and prosperity.
Chinese Premier on his part termed India and China as "strategic partners and good friends" that could speak to each other with candour.
Addressing a joint press conference with his Chinese counterpart after they held delegation-level talks at Hyderabad House, the PM said, “An honour for me to welcome Premier Li to India, been an immense pleasure to get to know him personally.”
"Starting yesterday evening Premier Li and I have had wide ranging discussions. I am delighted that there are so many fields of convergence between India and China,” the PM said.
On the contentious border issue between the two countries, the Prime Minister said, “The basis for continued growth is peace on our borders. While seeking early resolution of border issues, peace must be preserved,” he said.
Dr Singh further said that he had candid discussions with Li Keqiang. “There are so many areas of convergence and meeting of minds,” he said.
“India & China have lived in peace through the ages, have had differences but over last 25yrs have built a mutual beneficial relationship,” he added.
"The relationship between our two countries is of growing significance and essential for our peaceful development and sustained growth".
The Prime Minister also said that he has accepted Keqiang’s gracious invitation to visit China.
In his address, Premier Li said it cannot be denied that there are problems between the two countries.
“Don`t deny problems between the two sides; need to improve border related mechanisms; make them more efficient.
Both sides believe each country should see the other`s, said Chinese Premier Li Keqiang.
Both leaders agree that Special Representatives of India and China will consider further measures that may be needed to ensure peace and tranquillity along the border.
“Have worked together to maintain tranquillity and peace in the border areas” Keqiang stressed.
“Both sides believe each country should see the other`s development as of mutual benefit… Amicable ties will be positive for Asia and good for Asia providing new engines for the world economy,” he said.
Terming India and China as “friendly nations”, the Premier said that neither side will do anything to damage the interests of the other side.
“Our nations can resolve issues, and overcome differences. Both sides have more interests than differences and there is a need to confront issues with a broad mind, and tackle them in a mature way,” he added.
Indicative of the way forward in India-China relationship, he said, “By reaching a consensus on various issues, we have reached a new level in our relationship with India.”
Earlier, both the nations signed eight agreements in diverse areas including Kailash Mansarovar pilgrimage, economic agreements, urban development, water management.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in