India, China agree to restore status quo along LAC
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Ministry of External Affairs said on Monday that the government of India and China had agreed to restore status quo along Line of Actual Control (LAC) in Western Sector as it existed prior to April 15.
The MEA spokesperson also revealed that flag meetings were held to work out modalities and to confirm the arrangements.
Meanwhile, confirming that the incursion issue had been sorted out, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said, "Following the stand off incident at the border area, China and India with the larger interests of bilateral relations in mind have taken a cooperative and constructive attitude."
The two sides exercised restraint and properly handled the incident through relevant mechanisms, diplomatic channels and border meetings, she added.
In her first comments after the decision of the two countries to withdraw troops from the Daulat Beg Oldi (DBO) area after a 20-day stand off, Hua said, "As far as I know relevant consultations have been fruitful".
"We believe that maintaining peace and tranquillity in the border areas serve the common interests of the two sides. China is ready to join hands with the Indian side to seek a mutually acceptable and fair solution to the border question at an early date", she said.
Pressed for more details on the settlement, including dismantling of tents erected by the PLA, Hua said, "I need to follow closely the latest information".
"I believe the Chinese and Indian sides should maintain peace and tranquillity in the border areas and work for the smooth development of bilateral relations", she maintained.
A platoon of Chinese troops estimated at about 50 and accompanied by vehicles and dogs had intruded 19 km inside the Indian territory across LAC in Daulat Beg Oldi sector on April 15 and set up five tents.
The Indian troops had also established tented posts facing the Chinese forces at a distance of 300 metres.
Chinese and Indian armies had agreed yesterday to withdraw their troops simultaneously from face-off point at Daulat Beg Oldi sector. It was said that an agreement between the countries was reached after tough negotiations at the higher level from both sides.
Consultations were said to have been held at various levels including through missions in Beijing apart from the Foreign Secretary being in direct touch with concerned officials.
The face off in Ladakh had cast a shadow over the visit of External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid to China on May nine to prepare the ground for the new Chinese Prime Minister Li Keqiang`s visit to India from May 20.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal