India, China boundary dispute not insurmountable: Khurshid
New Delhi: Holding that the boundary dispute between India and China is "not an insurmountable issue", External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid Monday said the two countries are committed for the "eradication" of such "irritants" from their relationship.
"It is a fact that we have an undefined boundary and therefore differences in perception, something that appears from time to time to become an insurmountable problem. But in our hearts, we know that it is not an insurmountable problem but also that both of us are committed for eradication and removal of these irritants in our relationship," Khurshid said at an event here.
The Minister`s statement comes in the backdrop of increased incidents of incursions along the LAC by the Chinese Army, after which the government had to explain its stand on the issue in Parliament and outside.
Chinese Minister of State Council Information Office Cai Mingzhao, who was also present at the event, said the two countries should focus more on the positive happenings between them.
Speaking at the inauguration of the India China Media Forum, Khurshid said the 21st century is said to be the Asian century and "it is our firm belief that this dream will remain unfulfilled if India and China are unable to find congruence on important ways in which we think on global issues."
The Minister said the two sides "need to talk more to know each other better to fructify the full potential of this relationship between them."
He said the two countries have a had a "peaceful" co-existence for almost 4,000 years "but for a short interlude, that both of us feel must become quickly part of history as we look for significant cooperation between us in future."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow