India, China discuss plans to deal with Afghanistan after 2014
Beijing: India and China on Thursday held their first dialogue on Afghanistan here in a bid to evolve a joint strategy to deal with much feared possible return of Taliban and al Qaeda after the departure of US troops next year.
"The two sides agreed that Afghan issue concerns regional security and stability", Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying told a media briefing here.
"China and India are two important countries in the region and consultations on Afghanistan helps them to coordinate positions, deepen cooperation and contribute to early settlement of the issue", she said.
This is the first time that China held such a dialogue with India on Afghanistan, expanding consultations with its close ally Pakistan and Russia.
China is trying to seek convergence of positions for a possible joint strategy to deal with volatile situation with the likely return of Taliban and al Qaeda militant groups.
Today`s talks on Afghanistan were held between Yash Sinha, Additional Secretary, Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iran, (PAI) and Luo Zhaohui, Director General of Asian Division of the Chinese Foreign Ministry.
The Indian delegation later met Deputy Foreign Minister of China Zhai Jun.
China has held trilateral dialogue with India and Russia and a separate similar dialogue with Russia and Pakistan.
The issue also figured prominently in this month`s annual Counter Terrorism talks between India and China signifying Beijing`s concerns over emergence of Islamic militant groups as well as its dwindling confidence in Pakistan`s ability to rein in on Taliban and other groups.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) TNBSE Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 declared