India, China hold talks on new border security mechanism
Beijing: Indian and Chinese officials on Sunday held fourth round of talks and discussed various issues like finalising a key border security mechanism expected to be signed during Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s proposed visit here next month.
The two-day meeting of the Working Mechanism for Consultation and Coordination on China-India Border Affairs is expected to discuss the proposed Border Defence Cooperation Agreement (BDCA), aimed at more comprehensively dealing with tensions related to patrolling by both sides along the Line of Actual Control.
The talks came against the backdrop of several incursions by Chinese troops along the LAC.????
The mechanism headed by Foreign Ministry officials of both the countries was formed to address problems between the troops at the borders.
It came in handy to defuse tensions arising of Chinese soldiers` presence at Depsang valley in Ladakh region this year. The issue was subsequently resolved after the PLA troops withdrew from the area.
Officials said the meeting was expected to discuss the BDCA stated to be more comprehensive in dealing with tensions arising out of patrolling by both sides along the LAC.
Ahead of the meeting, China praised the contribution of the mechanism saying it played a "positive role" in enhancing cooperation and understanding between the borders related departments and the timely treatment of sensitive issues and stabilisation of border situation.
On September 26, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei had said the mechanism could be leveraged to resolve the vexed boundary dispute.
"China is ready to work with India to leverage this working mechanism to truly uphold the long term peace and tranquility in border areas so as to create a sound atmosphere for the final settlement of the boundary question and the sound and stable development of bilateral relations", he had said.
India-China have held 16 rounds of Special Representatives level talks to resolve the boundary dispute so far.
The BDCA agreement was expected to be signed during Prime Minister Singh`s visit here in the fourth week of October.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?