‘India, China need to work on post-Copenhagen strategy’
New Delhi: Asserting that India and China have protected the interests of the developing world at Copenhagen climate conference, External Affairs Minister SM Krishna told his Chinese counterpart Tuesday that they now have to evolve a post-Copenhagen strategy.
Chinese Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi called up Krishna and during the conversation they "discussed India-China cooperation on climate change, including possible follow-on measures flowing from the recent Copenhagen summit", the External Affairs Ministry said in a statement.
Krishna noted that India and China "had worked closely and effectively together at Copenhagen, thereby safeguarding the interests of developing countries."
"He (Krishna) stressed that the developing world, including India and China, needs to evaluate the results of the Copenhagen Conference and then decide on a strategy for the post-Copenhagen process," said the MEA press note.
The Indian minister will be visiting China in the first half of next year, after the Chinese foreign minister reiterated his invitation.
Next year would also mark 60th anniversary of establishment of diplomatic relations.
India and China along with Brazil and South Africa formed the BASIC group at Copenhagen, which had reached a last-minute accord with the United States on climate change. In the accord, these countries agreed to cut down on carbon emission intensity levels, but without setting any legally binding targets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31