India-China plan to resume border talks
Beijing: India and China plan to resume
the next round of talks to resolve differences over
demarcation of borders and conduct joint military exercises so
as to boost bilateral ties, National Security Adviser
Shivshankar Menon said today.
Menon, who is here on a four-day visit as Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh?s special envoy, said India and China
would be finalising dates to resume talks to resolve
differences over demarcation of borders and to conduct joint
Talking to the Indian media here before leaving for
home, Menon said the dates for the resumption of the next
round of border talks between the two countries would be set
through diplomatic channels.
The two sides so far held 13 rounds of talks to
resolve the differences over demarcation of boundaries. The
last round was held in New Delhi in 2009.
Menon, the designated representative of India for the
border talks, met his Chinese counterpart Dai Bingguo
yesterday and discussed bilateral issues.
Menon came here as Prime Minister`s envoy with a
wider mandate to discuss whole gamut of relations between the
Menon also said dates would be set for India-China
military exercises which are due this year. Dates are being
set for the joint military exercises.
Menon`s visit coincided with China-Pakistan military
exercises focusing on anti-terrorism drills.
Indian and Chinese armies have so so far held two
rounds of joint counter terrorism exercise to enhance military
to military cooperation and improve confidence building.
Asked whether China understands India`s concerns
relating to Pakistan, Menon said the two countries have
high-level understanding between the two leaderships.
"Yes, we understand each other better and better. This
is not static. The situation keeps changing. We keep changing
we are growing. This is an ongoing exercise," he said, adding
"We understand their interest I think they understand
our core interests as well?
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you