India commissions nuclear submarine INS Chakra
Visakhapatnam: India on Wednesday inducted Russian-
made nuclear powered submarine `INS Chakra` into the Navy,
joining an elite group of nations possessing sophisticated
Defence Minister A K Antony formally commissioned the
Akula II class Nerpa, rechristened INS Chakra, into the Navy
at the Ship Building Complex here in Andhra Pradesh.
With the country entering the select club of nations with
nuclear submarines after a gap of two decades, Antony said,
"INS Chakra will ensure security and sovereignty of the
He did not subscribe to the view that the induction of
nuclear powered submarines will lead to any arms race in the
region. He said the armed forces will be strengthened to meet
"India does not believe in arms race. We are not a
confrontationist nation. We are a peaceloving nation....but,
at the same time, the armed forces will be strengthened to
meet any challenge," Antony told reporters when asked about
Pakistan`s reaction that INS Chakra`s induction will lead to
arms race in the region.
"We have a vast land border. We have more than 7500 kms
of coastline and more than two lakhs EEZs (Exclusive Economic
Zone). We have to protect the sea lanes of our core area of
interest," he said.
With INS Chakra and indigenously built INS Arihant
expected to start operational patrols soon, India will soon
have two nuclear submarines guarding its vast maritime
To a question on China`s increasing military capability,
Antony said, "Induction of INS Chakra or Vikramaditya
(aircraft carrier) warships or any other platform is not aimed
at any country.
"It is to strengthen our national security to meet any
challenge more effectively," he said.
With a maximum speed of 30 knots, the submarine can go
upto a depth of 600 metres and has an endurance of 100 days
with a crew of 73. The vessel is armed with four 533mm torpedo
tubes and four 650mm torpedo tubes.
India had leased and operated a Charlie class Russian
nuclear submarine in 1988 for training its personnel
on such submarines.
Antony said, "INS Arihant will be ready for sea trials
sometime this year."
He also said the induction of INS Vikramaditya, earlier
called `Admiral Gorshkov`, will take place "sometimes early
On future induction of platforms in the Indian Navy, he
said four warships, including INS Vikramaditya, were expected
to be delivered at the end of this year, besides 15 fast
"In the next few years, the Navy will get more
submarines," the Defence Minister said.
He refused to share details with the media about the cost
of leasing INS Chakra from Russia. He said there is a proposal
for leasing another submarine but refused to take queries on
"There is a proposal. But we have not taken any
decision...Cost is not necessary, but India can afford it,"
On whether the process of procuring submarines from
Russia was too long and slow, he said, "We want speedy
procurement and we will modernise our armed forces as quickly
as possible. At the same time, zero tolerance to corruption is
also our policy."
INS Chakra has been taken on lease from Russia for 10
years and would provide the Navy the opportunity to train
personnel and operate such nuclear-powered vessels.
India had signed a deal with Russia in 2004 worth over
USD 900 million for leasing the submarine.
It was expected to be inducted a couple of years back,
but after an on-board accident in 2008, in which several
Russian sailors died, the delivery schedule was changed.
Indian Navy personnel have already been imparted training
in Russia for operating the submarine. A crew of over 70
people, including around 30 officers, is required to operate
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'