India committed to nuclear safety, says AEC chief
Mumbai: India is committed to nuclear safety and will implement the International Atomic Energy Agency`s (IAEA) "Action Plan on Nuclear Safety", a top nuclear expert has said.
Addressing the 56th IAEA General Conference in Vienna Wednesday, Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) chairman R.K. Sinha said Indian experts would continue to assist IAEA in its endeavour to enhance nuclear safety through its measures involving all stakeholders.
Preparations are underway to invite IAEA`s Integrated Regulatory Review Service for peer review of the country`s regulatory system, Sinha said.
Next month, India and IAEA will host an international workshop on Safety of Multi-Unit Nuclear Power Plant Sites Against External Natural Hazards.
It will follow a working group meeting of the IAEA Project on Seismic Safety of Nuclear Power Plants, Sinha said.
Terming the global response to the Fukushima accident as by and large "very mature", Sinha pointed out that while committing to learn lessons to enhance nuclear safety, the growth prospects of nuclear power continues to be driven by concerns of energy security.
Post-Fukushima, seven new reactors have been connected to the grid in five countries while many newcomer countries have decided to continue with the nuclear power programmes.
"Many countries, including India, have continued with their programme for expansion of nuclear power while simultaneously placing additional emphasis on nuclear safety," Sinha said.
Here, he highlighted the latest IAEA projections which predict continued growth for nuclear power in the world in coming decades.
Sinha said India continues to forge with its three-stage nuclear power programme strategized on adopting a closed nuclear fuel cycle to extract maximum energy from limited uranium resources, ensure sustainable nuclear waste management and achieve long-term energy security.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged