India committed to the re-building of Afghanistan: Ansari
New Delhi: India on Wednesday said it is committed to rebuild Afghanistan as a stable, democratic and prosperous country and hoped that the two nations can overcome the challenge posed by terrorism.
"India does not have an exit strategy. With the conviction that we shared a common past and that we are destined to share a common future, India will continue to contribute, within its capabilities, in the re-building of Afghanistan," Vice President Hamid Ansari said.
He said India is committed to work with the government and people of Afghanistan in their attempt to re-build that country as a stable, democratic, pluralistic and prosperous one.
Ansari was speaking at a banquet hosted by him for his Afghanistan counterpart Mohammad Karim Khalili.
He said Afghanistan, which was once a cross-road and centre of international trade and commerce, faces several challenges.
"We have shared the pain of the Afghan people caused by years of conflict and destruction. Terrorism, a menace for us all, nevertheless threatens Afghanistan even more directly.
"We have also faced the consequences of a great land like yours, being used as a safe haven for training terrorists. We know that the fight against terrorism is not an easy one but we are also convinced that given the political will and determination, we can overcome this challenge," he said.
He said India remains committed to implement the Strategic Partnership Agreement signed between the two countries in October 2011. The agreement articulates the future areas of cooperation between the two countries in diverse spheres.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!