India `concerned` over Maoists` Nepal link
Kathmandu: India has expressed "concern"
over Nepal`s former Maoist guerrillas providing arms and
training to Indian Naxalites, prompting Foreign Minister
Sujata Koirala to assure an investigation into the issue.
Indian Ambassador to Nepal Rakesh Sood had handed over
separate letters to Nepal Home Secretary and Foreign Secretary
in late October, expressing India`s concern over the issue,
Indian embassy sources said.
Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Koirala
confirmed the receipt of a letter from the India which
expressed concern over the Maoists involvement in imparting
training to the Naxalites, and said the government will
investigate the matter.
She, however said that she has not yet gone through
it. "If this is true, it is a very serious matter," Koirala
"I will also ask the Home Ministry to investigate into
the matter seriously," she said, adding the investigations
will begin after the Deepawali holidays.
"If the Nepalese Maoists are involved in providing
training to the Indian Maoists then the government will take
steps to stop such activities," she said.
According to a report in The Kathmandu Post, some 200
Naxalites from India have taken part in training being
provided by Nepalese Maoists in different districts of Terai,
including Nawalparasi, Dang, Udaypur and Makwanpur.
Maoists from different Naxalite-infested areas in
India received ideological and warfare training at different
camps in Nepal, the daily had reported.
Foreign Ministry sources also admitted that high-level
Maoists from Nepal may be involved in imparting training to
the Indian Maoists.
The Maoists, who have dismissed such reports in the
past, could not be contacted for their comments on the latest
row. The party has not issued any formal statement on the
claims made by the Nepali newspaper.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know