India concerned over political instability in Maldives: PM
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Wednesday expressed concern over the "political instability" in the Maldives and said India would continue to monitor the situation there as it was for a democratic and prosperous nation.
"We are concerned over the political instability there. We will continue to monitor the situation," the prime minister told the Lok Sabha while replying to the discussion on the motion of thanks on the president`s address to parliament.
"India is always for a democratic and prosperous Maldives," he said.
He expressed hope that there would be free, fair and credible presidential polls in the Maldives in September.
The prime minister India wants all stakeholders in the island nation to resolve the issues "through dialogue."
Tensions between India and Maldives escalated after former president Mohamed Nasheed took shelter in the Indian High Commission in the Maldives` capital Male.
The former president had evaded previous two arrest warrants by seeking diplomatic shelter in the Indian High Commission.
He had taken shelter in the Indian Mission for 11 days last month to evade arrest after he failed to appear in court.
Nasheed was arrested and taken to the Dhoonidhoo detention facility Tuesday after a Hulhumale magistrate`s court had scheduled a hearing of his trial Wednesday and issued an arrest warrant against him.
Police presented Nasheed in court for his trial over the unconstitutional arrest and detention of Chief Criminal Judge Abdulla Mohamed while he was president.
He was released from police custody Wednesday after his court hearing was concluded, officials said in Male.
Over 80 people have been arrested within 24 hours by riot police after violent protests broke out in the streets of Male following Nasheed`s arrest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video